Kids These Days…

Well in the midst of Adulthood madness of this August, I have been doing some research regarding my topic of anti-adulthood and the differences between the generations. Oh wait, there really aren’t any…

When you were a kid, a teenager, or in your early twenties, did you ever hear older people say “kids these days”? Of course you did. Did you ever think you would grow up to be one of those people saying the exact same thing about those who were a generation younger than you? I asked my grandpa when he became an adult and he said “I’m still not an adult!”. Maybe it’s because his love for chocolate milk is greater than anyone else’s. Though he does not feel like an adult, he questions things about my generation. We all do it. Change is inevitable and the generation younger than you is always going to be… different… (dun dun dun)

But really, what are the differences between these generations? Are millennials really as “peculiar”, “divergent”, “deviating”, or “aberrant” as older generations think? Consider this quote:

[Young people]…feel entitled to good times, expensive equipment, and the kind of homes they grew up in and who believed they deserved instant status, important, meaningful work, and an unspoiled environment. They started out with limitless choices, arrayed like cereals on the market shelves. They grow up only to find that scarcity was back and that society had changed its promises. It wasn’t just a matter of bad economy or even a lean economy. It was a changed economy with different values and different priorities. (Littwin: The Postponed Generation: Why America’s Grown-Up Kids are Growing Up Later)

Entitlement? Blaming the economy? Limitless choices? Different values? Sounds like those darn millennial kids, right?

Nope. This was written in the mid 80′s about the Baby Boomers.

tumblr_n7pbxlq6ru1twvdxwo1_1280 (1)

The book that I read this and many other related topics in is called Twentysomething : why do young adults seem stuck? by mother-daughter-duo Robin Marantz-Henig and Samantha Henig.